Learning to Love

"I know that the Lord will maintain the cause of the afflicted, and justice for the poor." Psalm 140:12.

Thursday, May 29, 2008

Encouragement


Funny how we set out to do the Lord's work, and,in the end, he does a work in our hearts instead!

Well, tonight, the first creature to greet Clara and I at the Umuarama was the biggest rat that I have ever seen in my life! He nonchalantely ran across the road like he owned it and scurried away into the nearest gutter. After getting rid of the chills that ran down my spine I walked into the meeting area and was greeted by tons of little smiles. One two year old girl sat on my lap and we all started practicing for the Christmas musical (early, I know, but we have to train them early in order to present a nice cantata).

I was so discouraged and tired today. I was trying really hard to be pumped up for them and it was amazing how as soon as we walked into the room together I forgot all my "problems" and silly complaints and was able to focus on them and their needs. I am learning more and more that a lot of times my "issues" would be resolved if I just took a moment to take my eyes off myself and on others.

Tonight I decided to talk about SIN to my teenage girls. I think it was the night they most participated and the night they most understood. They left with a clear understanding that God is just and pure and cannot stand sin. They also left with the knowledge that our lives are filled with sin and one little sin is enough to separate us from God. One of the girls said: "WOW! I sin like more than 50 times a day!" :) I told her that I have those days too, and that the crazy thing is that even a small thing like a thought is a sin. I ended the night giving them an assignment-- they are to write out a list with their most grievous sins. No one will see this list. I will not read it and they will not have to share it with anyone. However, I want them to take the time to write out all the things that they know they did wrong and that they feel bad about. I told them that if they get to fifty things they can stop. What I want them to do is bring this list next Thursday and we will do something with that list (I will introduce Jesus' salvation then).

You know what was incredible? One of the girls, Karina, came in and I asked her how she was. She said she had a very big earache. Wow, I thought, she came all the way down even with an earache! Then, as soon as we started I saw her with tears streaming down her face. I knew I hadn't said anything significant or that moving, and realized that she probably was crying because of the pain. I asked her if it was hurting a lot and she said yes. I asked Juliana to find her some pain medicine and soon she was happily medicated. But you know what amazed me? This is a girl who doesn't know Jesus. She walked all the way from her house, in pain, to hear God's word and get a piece of bread in the end. This encouraged me more than anything else tonight and I hope that I can take this example of thirsting for Jesus despite pain and suffering.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home